Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day



Memorial Day is always a very special holiday for me. I've been frustrated in recent Memorial Day Celebrations because at times it seems like it's nothing more than a three day weekend to many Americans. This year, however, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much public awareness and television time was dedicated to truly honor those who have given the ultimate sacrifice--to keep us and others free and safe. Who knows, maybe a new tide toward patriotism could be starting to develop. No one would be happier than I. I am, and always will be ridiculously proud of the military history of our great nation, especially in the 20th Century. It is absolutely inexcusable to not teach generation after generation how America came to be, what it has taken and continues to take to maintain our sovereignty and freedom, as well as what we have done for other nations in our stormy, but proud history. I received a lot of praise, but even more criticism for writing and recording World History 101. I guess that just stems from the times we live in, but I will be proud of that song until the day I die. We must also continue to really and truly support our troops who are deployed today around the world, doing the same thing that we've been doing for a long, long time--protecting and defending those who cannot defend themselves. There are those who say that it's all about oil. I say to them, there's no oil in Afghanistan. There's nothing there we want or can use. Our troops are simply doing the right thing. God bless each and every one of them and the families at home that share them with us. I hope and pray you all had a happy, safe, and proud Memorial Day Weekend.

As General Petraeus just said, "Our troops today are the NEW 'Greatest Generation.'

And as one of my true heroes, General George S. Patton, once said, "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

God bless our sovereign nation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment